On Saturday I will leave for Neply, Haiti. I will be working with a ministry called My Life Speaks. Since I am a teacher, teaching is about the only skill I can offer, but I be real honest: this trip is not about what I have to offer this ministry in Haiti, but it is all about me. I need to be changed. I need for God to do a great work in me. I am on a personal campaign to slay the beast within me called pride and vanity. My life is and has always been about me. It was easy to do–you know, make me the center of my universe. If it is not beneficial for me, why should I do it, right? What’s in this for me? I am sick of that person. So, God called me to go on a mission trip to Haiti. Here are the facts:
- I leave May 31 and return June 14
- I am going alone, but I will join My Life Speaks when I get there–so not really alone.
- I will be working with the school–no idea what I will be doing. I don’t care.
- My 9th graders are sending a MOUNTAIN of notebook paper leftover from the school year for the kids. Thanks, CCHS kiddos.
- I want to go on mission next summer again and take other women with me.
- I don’t like to fly. I have flown internationally quite a few times with educational trips for high school students, but I am a great faker. I act like it doesn’t bother me since I am the leader, but flying unnerves me. This time I will be flying alone. Pray about that.
- Pray that I will serve a great purpose while there. I want to help in whatever way I can.
- Pray that my family will not worry about me.
- Pray that God will slay the beast of selfishness, pride and vanity in me. So definitely don’t think I am doing something amazing by going on this trip. I am being obedient. You be obedient too.
What does God want you to do? Since I have spent the first 51 years being self-centered, I am shooting for the next 50 to be more Christ-like
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Galatians 6:14