Since I usually blog on Sunday, many of you may read this on Monday. Ah, Monday-that day that comes AFTER you went to church, were greatly encouraged and maybe like me you have the privilege of imparting God’s Word to your Sunday School class or small group. The day after your lesson or message from your pastor was about humility or never getting discouraged and overcoming. Then Monday hits.
If you are the teacher of that lesson like me, by 8:01 am Monday morning, you’ve blown it. Maybe you received that email alert stating that your checking account is empty, and you thought you had something. And you owe everybody. Or like me you teach a group of students this amazing, award-winning teacher of the year lesson only to see them yawning and saying, “I don’t understand this. I hate English.” You check your email and a parent blasts you on how his/her son or daughter isn’t understanding anything, and really wants to be transferred out of your class because he/she doesn’t like you. This has never happened but does happen often, and now that I said this, I will check my emails in the morning. Pride just left the building.
So, let me encourage you today. In my personal life, God is working. Don’t think that means everything is coming up roses, but He is obviously working and answering prayers.
I enjoy sharing with you and so enjoy speaking to women at various women’s events. Because I am a teacher, my time is limited, but I recently asked God to use me more to speak to women if it was His will and if I could be like a funnel that just listens to God and sends that message on down to my sisters in Christ. I am excited to report that I will be speaking this Saturday night, the next weekend and then again in October. I am like a child at Christmas! Can I help you with your women’s event?
My youngest daughter just sent me a message that a big prayer has been answered. As she would say, “Bam.” God bazillion, Satan 0.
Here are some thoughts that I must keep in front of me. This is how defeating the enemy sounds:
1. I pray when my eyes open each morning. No, not getting out of the bed until I have asked for HELP from God Almighty. In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. Psalm 5:3
2. I get coffee and sit down with my Bible. I am not a morning person, but when I kept complaining that I didn’t have time to read my Bible, God showed me that early in the morning, I wasn’t busy. Let’s face it; I now wake up early and have to go to the bathroom and can’t go back to sleep, so might as well get up. God does these things on purpose, you know. My time may be short, not that in depth, but it’s the consistency that matters. Mothers, I have heard my girls say on more than one occasion that they remember coming downstairs in the morning and seeing mom reading her Bible. Priceless.
3. I turn up the praise music. My worship pastor is Travis Cottrell, Beth Moore’s worship leader. At my church we are very blessed. We’ve been a part of many churches with many worship styles and leaders. It has not always been my style or we’ve not always enjoyed the talent we are right now. Don’t let these things stop you from turning up the praise. The enemy is defeated when we praise. I love Chris Tomlin, Kristian Stanfill, Hillsong music, and the radio station K-Love.
4. Pray out loud. God is all knowing and knows your every thought. Satan does not, but Satan does not have a hearing problem. Pray in Jesus name and by the power of Jesus Christ. Pray with confidence in a God Who can do anything. I am a person who has been healed physically (that’s another blog for another day), spiritually and emotionally. Don’t tell me God is limited as to what He can do or limited by what I believe He can do. If you don’t have faith, pray for faith. Faith is a miracle.
5. Last, some days when your feel defeated, speak the words of truth to yourself. Don’t let your heart lead your head, but your head lead you heart. Many days you don’t feel God’s presence or that He is hearing what you are saying when you pray. This is simply not true. Remind yourself of truth. This is truth:
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27
“No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; And every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their vindication is from Me,” declares the LORD. Isaiah 54:17
“Never, never, never give up.” Winston Churchill
Not giving up, not giving in, not going to be down and out for long. I am a child of the King. I have a great future. Remind the enemy of his when necessary. The enemy will not win, at least not today.
This is what defeating the enemy sounds like. Bam.